”Ostomy AWEARness – How to join the campaign!
- Contact an ostomy pouching company to donate ostomy pouches. During the 2010 and 2013 WWO Campaigns, Hollister donated pouches to every participant.
- Promote the WWO Campaign through your skin/wound resource team and nursing units that care for ostomy patients.
- Pass out brochures and sign-up sheets throughout the hospital and units. Consider doing an electronic sign up through Sign Up Genius
- A week before your event, have a “packet pick-up” location and time to deliver everyone’s ostomy pouch and Campaign instruction.
- Perform the WWO 3 Day Challenge
- On the last day, host a celebration and awards banquet inviting all participants.
- Post pictures or do a slide show for your hospital’s newsletter or website.
- Motivate! This is a FUN three days and also educational
- Sit in front of a mirror
- Identify the flattest part of the abdomen so the pouch will adhere best. For this reason, always remember to consult your WOCN to mark patients before surgery.
- As needed, shave any hair in the pouching surface. Clean the surface with plain water and dry.
- Remove the backing paper to the wafer and apply pouch to skin. Cover pouch with your hand for 5 minutes to allow the wafer to warm up and “melt” to the skin for better adherence.
- Fill your pouch with a substance of your choice like applesauce or pudding
- Practice emptying the contents at the end of the day
- Participate in day-to-day adventures
- Take pictures doing an adventure and email it to your contact person for a photo contest
- At the end of day three, participate in the celebration/awards banquet
At the end of the third day, there was a banquet and awards celebration. Pizza, snacks and drinks were provided. Participants entered the room and removed their ostomy pouches for their “ostomy takedown”. Participants shared their experiences. A photo slide show from the 3 day campaign is shown and the award for Best Photo awarded. The banquet is highlighted with a guest speaker, who is an ostomate.
For an incentive for participation, host a contest. At UNC, we had a “Best Photo” Contest and a gift card was awarded to the person with the best/most unique photo. A WannaWearOne trophy was awarded to the unit/service with most participants.